St. Joseph Health Medical Assistant in Santa Rosa, California
Under general supervision of the LVN Supervisor and the Clinical Manager assists physician/provider with all general medicine or specialized medical practice duties.
Essential Values-Based, Leadership and Management Competencies: Demonstrates values-based competencies in line with the four core values that are the foundation of all activities performed by employees in order to achieve the Mission of the St. Joseph Health System.
Dignity: Demonstrates competence in communication and interpersonal relations.
Excellence: Demonstrates competence in continuous improvement, continuous learning, accountability, and teamwork.
Service: Demonstrates competence in customer/patient focus and adaptability.
Justice: Demonstrates competence in community orientation and stewardship.
(As defined on the attached Values-Based Competency Model Form.)
• Assists with patient phone messages/tasks and documents in EMR. Conducts callbacks per provider instruction, in an efficient and timely manner while maintaining proper telephone etiquette, 20%
• Rooms patients utilizing best practice MA workflow and maintains patient flow per schedule 15%
• Documents patient information collected, care given and treatments provided as well as charges in a clear and concise manner in EMR. 15%
• Anticipates patient care needs and consults with provider as needed 10%
• Maintains current knowledge of SJHMG clinical policies and procedures 10%
• Adheres to all safety standards including but not limited to, equipment maintenance, infection control, universal precautions and use of personal protective equipment as needed for all patient-care procedures 10%
• Organizes, stocks (using a PAR & Trigger system) and maintains an orderly, clean and uncluttered work area, including but not limited to exam rooms, procedure rooms and patient care areas 5%
• Assists with procedures and administers medications within the MA scope of practice and per provider order 5%
• Maintains current knowledge of medications, waste disposal and sterile techniques. 5%
• Attends and actively participates in mandatory clinical /business department meetings/in-services, staff meetings and assigned committees 3%
• Maintains CPR and other appropriate certifications 1%
• Responds to and participates in all medical emergencies and codes. 1%
• Other duties may be assigned as needed.
• Maintains current knowledge of SJHMG clinical policies and procedures
• Human development knowledge/skills:
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and psychosocial characteristics and interventions for infant (0-1 year), child (1-5 years), school age (6-12 years), adolescent (13-17 years), young adult (18-45 years), middle adult (46-60 years), older adult (60+ years).
• Age-specific patient needs that employee is required to understand and meet:
Demonstrates the ability to recognize age specific information related to age specific needs of the patient and provides appropriate care as needed
• Additional requirements:
Demonstrates age appropriate communication skills for the patient population served.
Demonstrates knowledge of age-specific community resources.
Information Management: Treats all information and data within the scope of the position with complete confidentiality and security. Adheres to HIPAA standards.
Risk Management: Cooperates fully in all risk management activities and investigations.
Safety Requirements: Is knowledgeable of, observes and complies with Codes of Safe Practice, safety policies and emergency procedures.
Minimum Position Qualifications:
• High school Diploma or GED
• Graduate of a State recognized vocational school or equivalent.
• MA Diploma
• Current CPR Certificate
Experience: Two (2) years of experience as a Back Office Medical Assistant in an ambulatory care facility or medical group practice.
Computer Skills: Basic computer skills including Microsoft Word, Windows.
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
• High level of customer services skills with a genuine caring approach to helping people.
• Maintain a positive attitude with changing conditions.
• Demonstrates organizational abilities.
• Demonstrates dependability.
• Requires good written and verbal communications skills to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
• Must be able to work under general supervision.
• Must have a professional and mature demeanor.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced department and handle multiple tasks, work with interruptions, and deal effectively with confidential information.
Preferred Position Additional Qualifications:
Computer Skills: EMR and/or IDX experience is helpful but not required.
• Bilingual English/Spanish communication skills.
Environmental Conditions: May include exposure to potentially hazardous material, infectious agents, contact with patients, public and staff.
Physical Requirements: Sitting, standing, walking, bending, climbing, reaching, stooping, kneeling, pushing/pulling, lifting/carrying up to 24 lbs., and grasping.
Additional physical requirements are defined on the attached Physical Demand Analysis.
St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) is one of California's most respected medical groups. With over 3,000 employees and 75 locations throughout California, including, Northern California, Orange County, High Desert and Los Angeles County, SJHH has been continually recognized as a leader in quality, customer service and information technology. This kind of success is the result of team work, a commitment to excellence and a strong adherence to the organization's mission, vision and values.St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, St. Joseph Heritage Healthcare (SJHH) complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Company: Heritage Healthcare