Kansas State University Libraries Copy Cataloger (K-State Libraries) in Manhattan, Kansas
About this Role:
K-State Libraries are seeking a Copy Cataloger. Responsible for the metadata work needed due to fire/smoke damage from the May 2018 fire in Hale library. Metadata work is required before ingest of cleaned items to the library annex can begin. The copy cataloger’s primary duty will be database maintenance in order to prepare the catalog records for ingest into the annex.
This is a limited term appointment with up to a three year assignment contingent upon available funding and need for these services.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community*.*
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Due to smoke damage from the May 2018 fire at Hale Library, the majority of the Library’s collection is inaccessible until it has been cleaned. This position assists in the metadata transfer of cleaned items from temporary storage sites into the library annex. Work will require copy cataloging knowledge and skills to complete transfer work. Materials consist of mainly serial items but may also include work with monographs, government documents, and electronic storage (floppy disks, cds, etc.).
- This position will focus on database maintenance which requires local editing of catalog records to ensure that items have accurate bibliographic records in the library’s online catalog so that they may be easily accessed by patrons and staff. Requires the ability to follow complex and detailed instructions; specialized knowledge, thorough analysis, significant independent decision-making; good judgment; ability to accurately record detailed information; experience with foreign languages; and in-depth knowledge of the Library of Congress or other appropriate classification system and subject heading tools, national cataloging codes and standards for holdings information, the OCLC database and local cataloging and system requirements.
- Assist annex staff with quality control checks of cleaned items, preparing items for ingest, and sorting of items. Additional library fire recovery related duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- High school diploma
- Two years relevant experience
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program or equivalent.
- Two years minimum of cataloging experience with monographs and/or serials.
- Experience working with Alma or other ILS.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately with details and complex procedures.
- Demonstrated ability to work with cataloging resources and technical manuals.
- Demonstrated critical thinking skills that include the ability to problem solve and work analytically.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Experience working with foreign languages.
- Demonstrated basic computer skills.
How to Apply:
Complete application and upload the following:
- A letter of application. To greatly strengthen your application, please use your communication skills to clearly address the required and preferred qualifications listed above,_ _and explain how your work style, vision, and other distinctive qualities would enhance our organization
- Names and contact information, including email addresses, for three professional references
Screening of Applications Begins:
Immediately. For best consideration, apply by January 30, 2019.
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
$ 12.88 – $ 19.33 per hour.
Actual pay rate will be determined based on the candidate's experience, education, internal equity and departmental funding. Salary offers are typically made between the minimum and midpoint of the salary range. The range indicated includes both the typical hiring range and potential future progression.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670003040 Hale Library
Job no: 506514
Work type: Staff Full Time (USS)
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Library
Advertised: 11 Jan 2019 Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled