Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Transportation Fuels in Livermore, California
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. You qualify for application if you received your PhD within a five-year timeframe prior to employment.
As a Sandian, in your postdoctoral position, you may bid on regular Sandia positions as an internal applicant. In some cases, a possibility could exist for you to be converted to regular career positions during your term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
We seek postdoctoral appointees to develop solutions to important national security problems. Of particular interest is research in the arena of transportation fuels. We need you to help with our goal to renewably produce high performance fuels guided by an underlying understanding of the key phenomena, to craft groundbreaking solutions. In particular, we are developing means for upgrading a variety of crude biological intermediates and fermentation products to fuels for aviation, medium to heavy-duty compression ignition engines, and next-generation mixed mode engines. Are you looking to do innovative and creative research? Do you want to be a member of a high performing team? We are a diverse, interdisciplinary team of scientists and professionals. You should consider joining this team.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Be responsible for development of scalable means for isolation of advanced biofuel intermediates from fermentation liquors, chemical upgrading of these intermediates to fuels, and blending of the resulting candidates for testing of engine relevant parameters;
- Be part of an interdisciplinary team that includes chemists, chemical and metabolic engineers, and fuels specialists at both the staff and postdoctoral level, conducting fundamental and applied research using both experimental and computational tools.
- PhD in Chemistry, Materials Science, or related discipline with a strong chemistry emphasis during the thesis work, and proven ability to identify and implement material solutions at the intersections of fields such as chemistry and chemical engineering, materials science, and biotechnology;
- Significant experience in R&D related to green chemistry or biofuels;
- A record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at scientific conferences,
Expertise in any of the following areas:
green chemistry and catalysis;
- small-molecule organic synthesis;
- homogeneous or heterogeneous catalysis;
- fuels characterization;
- separations chemistry.
The Biomass Science and Conversion Technology department is dedicated to developing and advancing innovative technologies for producing the next generation of biofuels. Our multidisciplinary staff represents a diverse range of backgrounds and skill sets: molecular biology, chemistry, chemical and biochemical engineering, biophysics, computational science, and biochemistry. We partner broadly with other Sandia departments as well as other national laboratories, industry, and universities to develop practical, science-based solutions to national energy goals. We also play an essential role in the DOE Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI), one of three Bioenergy Research Centers in the Nation advancing the next generation of biofuel technologies.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE)-granted security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record checks, and employment and education verifications. Further, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to the work site. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance, and one subsequently becomes required or you bid on positions that require a DOE-granted security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for DOE-granted security clearances must be U.S. citizens and be able to obtain and maintain the appropriate DOE security clearance as required for the position.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.