Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Data Science in Livermore, California
We seek a Postdoctoral Appointee specializing in data science.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Work as part of a technical team conducting innovative research in theory-guided data science focused on physics and engineering application domains
- Conduct research that may involve a broad set of techniques, including applied mathematics, Bayesian inference, reduced order modeling, compression, uncertainty quantification, validation and verification, feature extraction, linear/multilinear methods, nonlinear optimization, and/or machine learning
- Interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues
- Demonstrate technical leadership, publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and contribute to development of open-source software where relevant to project needs.
- Ph.D. degree conferred within 5 years prior to employment, in computer science, applied mathematics, or a related engineering or science discipline
- Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise
- Programming experience in C++, C, or a related language
- Strong written- and oral-communication skills
- A background in solving practical problems in science and engineering that involve encounters with real-world data
- Demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following areas: applied mathematics, Bayesian inference, reduced order modeling, compression, uncertainty quantification, validation and verification, feature extraction, linear/multilinear methods, nonlinear optimization, statistics, and/or machine learning
- Experience in high-performance, distributed, or parallel computing
- Experience in python, Matlab, R
- Experience in SQL, data parsing/preprocessing tools, and data analysis tools
- Contributions to open source software
- Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment
- Demonstrated research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, service on committees, workshop and/or conference organization, and editorial roles
Sandia's Extreme-scale Data Science & Analytics department provides strong expertise in data science and analytics, supporting Sandia's physical sciences and engineering mission partners by enabling the extraction of critical insights from extreme-scale observations, simulations and experiments. Capabilities in the department combine recent advances in applied mathematics and computer science, with expertise in uncertainty quantification, reduced order modeling, linear/multilinear methods, nonlinear optimization, and feature identification techniques. These capabilities complement and leverage existing research in other Sandia departments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a DOE security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance must be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.
This postdoctoral position is a temporary position for up to one year, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to five additional years. The PhD must have been conferred within five years prior to employment.
Individuals in postdoctoral positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.