Sandia National Laboratories Postdoctoral Appointee - Applied Mathematics & Computer Science in Livermore, California
We are seeking a Postdoctoral Appointee specializing in applied mathematics and computer science.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Be part of a team investigating various aspects of reduced order modeling, with a focus on the discovery of structure in data to drastically reduce the cost of simulating nonlinear dynamical systems at extreme scale
- Develop tools which will be deployed to enable high-fidelity models within many-query applications such as design optimization and uncertainty quantification
- Demonstrate technical leadership, publish outstanding new developments in peer-reviewed scientific journals, and contribute to development of open-source software where relevant to project needs
- Interact and cooperate with a diverse set of colleagues
- Ph.D. degree in physics, applied mathematics, or a related engineering or science discipline conferred within the past 5 years
- Publication record indicative of relevant research expertise
- Expertise in model reduction, adjoint-based error methods, and/or uncertainty quantification;
- Experience in Matlab, C++
- Demonstrated ability to team in an interdisciplinary R&D environment
- Demonstrated research community leadership through activities such as participation in student or professional organizations, service on committees, workshop and/or conference organization, and editorial roles
- Experience in machine learning
- Experience in MPI and high-performance computing
Sandia's Extreme-scale Data Science & Analytics department provides strong expertise in data science and analytics, supporting Sandia's physical sciences and engineering mission partners by enabling the extraction of critical insights from extreme-scale observations, simulations and experiments. Capabilities in the department combine recent advances in applied mathematics and computer science, with expertise in uncertainty quantification, reduced order modeling, linear/multilinear methods, nonlinear optimization, and feature identification techniques. These capabilities complement and leverage existing research in other Sandia departments.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
This position does not currently require a Department of Energy (DOE) security clearance.
Sandia will conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Furthermore, employees in New Mexico must pass a U.S. Air Force background screen for access to Kirtland Air Force Base. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause access to be denied or terminated, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
If hired without a clearance and it subsequently becomes necessary to obtain and maintain one for the position, or you bid on positions that require a DOE security clearance, a pre-processing background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications may be conducted prior to a required federal background investigation. Applicants for a DOE security clearance must be U.S. citizens. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.