Abbott Development Scientist in Cootehill, Ireland
Abbott in Ireland
In Ireland, Abbott employs more than 3,200 people across 11 sites. Abbott has six manufacturing facilities located in Clonmel, Cootehill, Donegal, Longford and Sligo and a third party manufacturing management operation in Sligo. It has commercial operations in Dublin and shared services in Dublin and Westport. Abbott serves the Irish market with a diverse range of health care products including diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals. Abbott has been operating in Ireland since 1946.
Abbott Ireland Nutrition Division – Cootehill
Abbott Nutrition in Cootehill manufactures infant nutritional products for the export markets. The facility is dedicated to providing products of the highest quality standard to its customers.
Abbott Nutrition produces a range of infant formulae in all pack sizes under the brand name “Similac”. To complement the range of “Similac” infant formulae, the facility also manufactures a range of follow on formulae under the brand name of “Gain”. The essential ingredient is liquid skim milk and this is combined with carbohydrate, vegetable oils, vitamins and minerals. The product is blended, pasteurised, dried and packaged at the site and once packaged, is distributed to Europe, South East Asia, the Middle East, Latin America and Canada.
Established in 1975, Abbott Nutrition in Ireland is the largest powder manufacturing facility for the production of infant formulae within the Abbott Corporation worldwide.
Approximately 1,000 dairy farms in Ireland and Northern Ireland supply quality milk to the Cootehill facility which processes 500,000 litres per day. This secure supply together with Ireland’s reputation as a green, clean environment is of significant strategic importance to Abbott Nutrition.
We are currently looking for a Development Scientist to join Abbott Ireland and be based in Cork. This position will include the following:
Primary Function / Goals / Objectives
• Member of Cootehill R+D Technical Team based at Teagasc Moorepark, Cork.
• Follow all Health and Safety Rules and Regulations in the plant and at Teagasc Moorepark.
• Report any current or potential hazards to your manager immediately.
• The correct Personal Protective Equipment (P.P.E.) must be worn at all times. Consult the appropriate SOP where required.
• The Development Scientist is responsible for consulting any SOP’s for any job task he/she may carry out and ensure they fully understand and adhere to the SOP.
• Housekeeping is a critical function of all jobs and the Development Scientist is expected to ensure all housekeeping activities in their work area are observed and carried out appropriately. Adherence to the Housekeeping SOP is key.
• It is important that cGMP is a main priority in any operation carried out in this job function.
• Support your manager in technical projects generated through NPI.
• Participate in the planning, development and execution of pilot plant trials for ANI at Moorepark Technology Ltd and at Abbott Cootehill.
• Submit timely and in advance of any industrial trials EHS evaluation form to Division.
• She/he must have an understanding of process capability, equipment, testing facilities etc.
• She/he must provide support and direction in Technical activities, such as:
Carrying out trials on new products/product revisions,
Evaluation of new ingredients,
Optimization of ingredients/formulations
Ensuring formulations are in line with regulatory and policy requirements
• He/she should be proactive in managing his/her own time in line with priorities of the department.
• Deliver training to relevant personnel on formulations, technical support etc. as required.
• Enter hours worked per project and out of pocket expense on Planview.
• Print documents from GQMS and QDMS as required.
• Maintain training records on Compliancwire System.
• Participate in continuous improvement through business excellence.
• Share knowledge with new personnel in the department.
• Ensure full compliant with relevant policies and procedures at all times when carrying out tasks.
• Ensure goals are reviewed on a regularly basis so that they are achieved by year-end.
• Develop in areas of own learning and development.
• This Job function will change where updates to cGMP, EHS, Technical / New Equipment, Quality Procedures & SOP’s are made.
• Due to the small size of the department it is critical that there is strong lines of communication between department team members and your manager.
• Responsible for maintaining good practises at the Abbott Nutrition office on the Teagasc Moorepark campus and day-to-day activities are in compliance with Abbott policies and procedures.
• She/he must provide leadership, initiative and direction in development activities such as:
• Carrying out pilot and commercial plant trials on new products/product revisions and new products.
• Conduct bench-to-plant experimentation and subsequent analysis.
• Evaluating new ingredients.
• Active participation in plant and international project teams and Moorepark pilot plant scheduling.
• Optimizing ingredients/formulations (Troubleshooting product/process issues)
• Coordinating the receipt and reporting of stability data
• Ensuring formulations are in line with regulatory and policy requirements
• Where appropriate, trials will be organized and implemented by the Development Scientist.
• Maintain strong line of communication with Cootehill site colleagues including visiting the site on regular basis. Attend numerous on going meetings, forums and workshops at the Cootehill site so as to support the strong links.
• Other responsibilities such as special projects will be managed through this position.
• Support required by the Development Scientist will be generated through the NPI process, project teams and personal interaction, and as such, a high degree of interpersonal skills is required.
• Point of contact liaison between ANI and Teagasc Moorepark personnel.
• Billing of project hours and out of pocket expense into Finance Dept.
• Strong lines of communication between internal departments and facilitates and devision personnel.
• Participate in plant or division project teams.
• Work at off site location with minimum supervision.
• Preparation and support the Cootehill operation with audits and assessment such as Quality and EHS.
• PhD/MS or BSc in Nutritional or Food Science/Technology or related Science discipline.
• A clear and detailed knowledge and understanding of food science / technology (i.e. interactions between product and process) is required.
• Work experience in a food related area is an advantage.
• Knowledge of dairy related pilot plant processes and parameters an advantage.
• Mathematical and problem solving skills are required to evaluate different options and to implement ongoing formulation and ingredient improvements. Strong attention to detail is key in this area.
• Computer skills (spreadsheet use) are essential. Database experience is desirable.
• Decision making skills are essential.
• Good organizational, interpersonal skills, and a willingness to work individually and/or as part of a team.
• Product analytical knowledge is preferable.
• Ability to prioritise work, set and meet agreed deadlines.
Accountability / Scope
• Responsibility for evaluating ingredients and developing plant formulations/processes, and providing key technical support is a major aspect of the job.
Discover why candidates choose a career at Abbott Ireland here
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Abbot welcomes and encourages diversity in our workforce.
We provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.
To request accommodation, please call 224-667-4913 or email email@example.com