Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking an enthusiastic and highly motivated R&D S&E, Systems Engineer to apply advanced modeling concepts on projects within the Nuclear Deterrence program, to promote design agility.
Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE) has become a critical focus for US Navy (USN) nuclear and conventional weapon programs, and for the associated interfaces within their Strategic Weapon System (SWS) enterprise. MBSE is a key enabling discipline on NNSA-funded programs, and a future growth area of the Air Force Nuclear Weapons Center. We are expanding our core team of MBSE modelers to support existing and future programs, such as the Navy D5 Life Extension 2 project, advanced development sounding rockets and demonstration payloads, the W80-4, and other upcoming Nuclear Weapons programs.
Do you see the value in using centralized data to communicate system information through design? Do you prefer using diagrams to communicate system behavior instead of long technical specifications? If yes, you could become a team member that conducts modern approaches of requirements, functional behavior, physical architecture, or performance development for nuclear weapons(NW).
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Develop functional, physical, interface, and environmental information using MBSE/SysML
- Perform Concept of Operations Development, Requirements Analysis and Definition, Trade Studies, Design Analysis, Interface Design & Assessment, Integrated System Test Planning, System Verification & Validation, and Configuration Management
- Design the technical solution in SysML models for various weapon systems and components including, but not limited to the W80-4, Electronic Neutron Generators, Mk21 Fuse, and the W78 replacement
- Develop, implement, and maintain SysML Architectures and models to support Advanced and Exploratory (2241) projects
- Use physical and computational simulation, analysis, and evaluation as inherent activities of verification
- Conduct technical review sessions with peers and relevant SME's to improve functional models and develop associated requirements
- Lead R&D conceptual system trade studies for NW related programs.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering, Systems Engineering, Electrical Engineering; or equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience.
- Experience with MBSE tools using the SysML language (such as Vitech Genesys, Magic Draw, MATLAB Simulink etc.) for functional and physical architecture
- Experience with engineering design (taking an idea from concept through demonstration or delivery)
- Familiarity with requirements engineering concepts including elicitation, analysis, specification, and management
- Familiarity with NW Product Realization Teams, 6.X Product Realization process or Product Definition system (PRIME/IMS)
The MBSE department has responsibility to provide system-level leadership for the advanced modeling and systems engineering activities necessary to support current and upcoming nuclear weapon needs. The department supports integration of these approaches into the engineering infrastructure, through collaborative efforts with our Sandia partners, including 2241 (Advanced and Exploratory NM), 2114 (NW Systems Engineering Processes/RPSS), and 8713 (Advanced and Exploratory Systems CA).
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.