Sandia National Laboratories R&D Systems Engineer - Discrete-event Simulation (FlexSim, Arena, Simio) (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a R&D S&E, Systems Engineer with experience in discrete-event simulation and optimization modeling.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams and other systems engineers for discrete-event simulations, optimization modeling, and data analysis involving the development and production of neutron generators, power sources, or explosive components
- Gather information, perform assessments and studies, document model results, identify emerging areas of opportunity, and execute day-to-day support activities
- Work on other projects to be determined by the organization's needs and individual interests. These may include supporting strategic projects that aim to adapt or advance Center capabilities to meet new needs across the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE). These projects may include collaboration with a variety of internal and external NSE stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree and advanced degree (Master’s or PhD) in systems engineering, industrial engineering, or four or more years of relevant work experience in lieu of an advanced degree, performing one or more of the following: industrial engineering, systems engineering, production floor capacity modeling, discrete-event simulation, resource optimization, leading systems engineering / cross-functional technical projects
- Experience programming in one or more of the following: Python, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), R, SQL, FlexSim FlexScript, or similar
- Master’s degree in systems engineering, industrial engineering, or relevant discipline
Self-motivated individual with experience in one or more of the following:
Discrete-event simulation (FlexSim, Arena, Simio or other similar software)
- Linear optimization (Gurobi, CPLEX, or other like software)
- Leading systems engineering-based projects through their lifecycle
- Interfacing with structured and unstructured databases to retrieve and work with data
- Data mining, analysis and visualization (Python, Visual Basic for Applications (VBA), R, Minitab, JMP, SQL and/or related languages)
- Facility and/or floor layout optimization
- Lean Six Sigma or other standardized problem solving methodologies
- Sandia National Laboratories production and/or development
- Interfacing directly with customers and suppliers, both internal and external
- Collaborating with other national laboratories or external SNL partners / suppliers
- Understanding of developing, qualifying and delivering products through the entire product realization lifecycle
- Demonstrated skills in building rapport, respect, and trust-based partnerships
- Demonstrated ability to develop measurable standards of operational performance
- Ability to work independently and complete tasks in a timely manner
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Active DOE L-level, DOE Q-level, DoD Secret, or DoD Top Secret security clearance
Center 2500 is a newly-merged Center that comprises three primary business units: Neutron Generators (NGs), Power Sources, and Explosives. Dept. 2513, Integrated Systems Analysis, is one of three departments in Group 2510, the Center Office, led by the Center’s Deputy Director. Dept. 2513 is made up of a dynamic and diverse collection of talent that serves to provide mission assurance through data-driven program management and industrial engineering. We aim to provide a systems engineering understanding of the product lifecycle through capacity modeling, simulation and optimization analysis, and integrated program management. We are can-do problem solvers that work in close partnership with Center stakeholders and customers to create high value solutions.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.