Sandia National Laboratories R&D Computer Scientist/Engineer-Data Dissemination & UI (Early/Mid-Career) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Are you passionate about your work and dream of utilizing state-of-the-art facilities to explore solutions? Do you want to join a dynamic team that solves significant issues and challenges for our nation's security?
We are seeking outstanding R&D Computer Science professionals to work as data dissemination and user interface (UI) software developers for real-time, high consequence systems. The developers will work as a member of the development team to design, develop, test and deploy advanced software systems for satellite ground systems.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Design, implement and test Java and C++ software components to enable the data dissemination aspects of pathfinder R&D systems
- Design, implement and test components for messaging and product dissemination, communicating with internal subsystems and external entities, and formulating, managing and mining data products
- Design, implement and test UI’s using Java-based or C++-based technologies or browser-based technologies
- Participate in regular team planning meetings, stand-ups, and retrospectives
- Identify and implement solutions to software problems with currently fielded systems
- Participate in technology advancement activities to develop technologies for future systems
- You possess an undergraduate and advanced degree in computer science (or related discipline); or equivalent combination of technical education and experience (relevant Bachelor's plus 4 years of relevant experience)
- Your background includes experience in software design, engineering and development skills, including familiarity with modern software development practices and tools
- Your skillset includes experience with object-oriented software development (e.g. Java, C++) in a UNIX/Linux environment
- You can obtain a DOE Q clearance
Ideally, your background would also include:
- Experience/Education in a subset of the following: software engineering, hardware and software architecture, distributed system design, HCI, software environments and methodologies (Java, C++, Python, UNIX, Linux, UML), database management, software and data modeling, software testing.
- Experience with Oracle, PL/SQL and SQL Server Databases
- Experience with Agile software development methodologies
- Experience developing near real-time software applications
- Software engineering proficiency, particularly with respect to best practices and team development of high quality code
- Experience with relevant application and mission domains (remote sensing systems, satellite systems, satellite ground systems, optical systems, command and control systems, remote asset communications and telemetry)
- Strong teamwork skills and effective interpersonal and communication skills
- An active DOE Q and/or SCI clearance
- Ability to obtain a SCI clearance, which may require a polygraph test
Department 6328 is part of the Decision Support Systems (DSS) Business Area (Org. 6320), which develops innovative unique-in-class tasking, collection, processing, exploitation, and dissemination systems for real-time national security missions. Working in collaboration with the Advanced Systems Program Office (ASPO) in 6330, we have a robust RD&E portfolio. This portfolio supports our design, development, deployment, and continuous improvement of large networked computing systems for detecting, tracking, classifying targets of interest, and expanding into new areas or exploring new methods. Department 6328 focuses on the exploitation and dissemination aspects of satellite ground systems and conducts research and development activities associated with the management, dissemination and mining of the large, mission critical data products, as well as user interface technologies to effectively communicate system information to system operators.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) granted Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE directive to conduct a pre-employment drug testing, and a pre-employment background review that includes personal reference checks, law enforcement record and credit checks, and employment and education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by the DOE, rendering the inability to perform the duties assigned and resulting in termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.