Sandia National Laboratories Manager, R&D S&E (2588) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
We are seeking a Manager, R&D Science and Engineering. You will play a key role in the success of the NGE by ensuring the NGE has the high-quality data needed to prove product meets requirements before it is shipped. High level responsibilities include maintaining operational readiness of the production tester fleet, upgrading testers to support new products, and keeping the tester fleet modern through the delivery of new testers. Doing so involves effectively partnering with the NGE design and production teams. Active engagement with these teams is crucial to understanding and delivering on those needs consistent with production deadlines. Since there are multiple customers you will need to adapt to frequently changing needs and schedules as well as competing priorities.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Be responsible for ensuring the safety (high voltage, radiation, and pressure) and security of the tester fleet
- Oversee development of a common tester architecture and deployment of a classified tester network
- Be an active participant within the Sandia tester community
- Work with the Center 2500 management team to develop a center-wide unified tester strategy
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant technical discipline plus eight or more years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
- A technical background that includes knowledge of and experience with measurements, measurement traceability, testing and/or process equipment
- A commitment to operational excellence and the ability to lead others in developing and maintaining a culture of quality, safety and security
- Ability to develop relationships leading to close partnerships with design and production agency stakeholders
- Strong verbal and written communication skills as demonstrated through proposals, project management, and/or a record of publications/presentations
- Graduate degree in physics, electrical engineering, computer science or a closely related technical field
- Two or more years of leadership experience
- Familiarity with processes for delivering automated test equipment
- Track record of leading or participating on multi-disciplinary technical teams
- Component design, development, and/or production experience
- Experience with high consequence, high rigor ES&H/security/quality operations
- Experience with Lean Six Sigma Methodology, preferably demonstrated by Green Belt/Black Belt certification
- Experience with data-driven decision making and problem-solving processes
- Demonstrated success in developing and improving products, and/or work processes
- Knowledge of test equipment architectures leading to software and hardware design standardization
The Tester Engineering Value Stream department is responsible for delivering automated test equipment to meet the data needs of the Neutron Generator Enterprise (NGE). Our vison is to “acquire hi-fidelity test data to enable high consequence decisions.” Our mission is “delivering exemplary test solutions in the national interest.” We define, design, build, and qualify automated test equipment used to support neutron generator S&T, development, production, shelf life, and surveillance testing. This is a highly integrated and multi-disciplinary team covering the areas of project management, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, software engineering, CAD drafting, and quality. Continuously improving tester requirements, tester standardization, test fidelity, measurement assurance, and tester capability are some of our core values. We also provide on-going engineering support and troubleshooting of the existing production tester fleet which consists of thirteen different types of testers.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work withamazingimpact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible schedules, generous vacations,strongmedical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level security clearance.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment must be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.